Poulsen Pipe Disaster: right here at... Me and My House

/
2 Comments
As you all know the temperatures up here have been extremely low. Yesterday especially was almost more than you could stand because of the wind chill factor. I was supposed to take Mom to a Dr's appointment, but when I woke up to the howling of wind I called her and told her we better cancel the appointment for today. It was a good thing. When I went out to check on her, I could hardly keep the car in the road because the wind was so strong.
Well today, I was out and about early because I had a dentist appointment. Afterwards I went by the store and got a few things and then I went over to visit with Mom. I was there a couple of hours and then headed home. I was planning to take a short nap and then do my housework and dinner. However, when I arrived at the house I was greeted by the gushing of water from the downstairs ceiling. I knew the house sounded like a tub was overflowing when I hit the door. As my family can verify; I at first become a bit panicky when I am faced with a surprise attack of any kind. I couldn't get Dad on the phone, and so I tried to collect myself. I finally figured out how to turn the water off... called the fire department to stop by and assess the situation, and received the gracious help of Debra Eaves a neighbor across the street to help me get as much water out of the room as I could with the use of shop vacs. Seth didn't call any too soon so I took it upon myself to get a plumber here to fix the pipes. By the time he got the message and was headed home, the water was back on.
So ... as you can see. We are now up to our ears in a new project. Furniture from downstairs is all crammed in my upstairs family area. All the carpet pad is up, and wet carpet is sprawled out everywhere. James came in the door all smiles and assessed the situation by saying: "Oh well, it keeps life interesting!"







You may also like

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Debra!! I'm so sorry! When it rains it pours. That's not supposed to be funny but I guess it applies! All this right before the St. George trip, too. I panic when faced with surprise attacks, too. But you did it!! Good luck. So sorry.

Mark and Gretchen said...

Sounds like you handled everything real well. So sorry you had to go through that. Hope it doesn't happen again. We only worry about pipes on the Heber place. We turn the water off now, every time we leave.

Powered by Blogger.