Time Out With the Choir and Orchestra in Sunny St. George

/
3 Comments
We had a wonderful time this weekend with the Choir and Orchestra as we made our way to St George to perform for the 100th Anniversary of Dixie College and the 150th Birthday Party for the city of St. George. Barry always does such a spectacular job at preparing the accommodations, food, etc. and so we ate way too much and my system feels a little bloated. The traveling is a bit tiring but the time went by so fast. We had a couple of sisters that sat in front of us on the bus from the Choir, Joan Yarrington and Nola Child. They were delightful to talk with and I truly felt in the course of the weekend that I was supposed to learn from these two dear sisters. I came away from this association with a renewed desire to do my best and proceed forward in life with faith.
Seth and I enjoyed being together. It was beautiful in St. George and that was a nice treat from the cold in our area. We all were thrilled to be in the sun and enjoy it's warmth.
The Choir did a marvelous job. One of my favorite pieces was "Song of Democracy" written by Howard Hanson. The text was taken from the words of Walt Whitman. It was a stirring piece and very enjoyable to play. Jackie Coleman was my stand partner for the tour and I enjoyed her fun and enthusiastic spirit. She has recently become acquainted with a young man that is studying architecture. He is presently doing an internship in Washington DC. She was raised in the DC area and so it makes for a fun correspondence with her new friend. She couldn't stop talking about him. It was good to see her so excited. She has had a rough emotional year and so her smiles made me happy for her. The audience was enthralled with the performance of Alex Boye who sang "I Want Jesus to Walk With Me". and also "Rocka My Soul in the Bosom of Abraham." He truly engages the audience and is a fantastic performer. We all truly enjoy the contribution he makes and sit enthralled as well when he sing; because he comes right from the soul.
A highlight was our Sunday services held in the old St. George Tabernacle, where Lorenzo Snow taught the early saints about the importance of keeping the law of tithing during a time of great drought. It was wonderful to be there in that old historic building. The talks that were given were uplifting and strengthening. We were truly blessed. I'm so grateful we were able to go.










You may also like

3 comments:

Emily said...

You hit all the highlights for me, too! What a jam-packed awesome weekend!

Mark and Gretchen said...

Great pictures, good to see you.

Kristy said...

so jelous!!!

Powered by Blogger.